10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Thank you for this excellent software and all the hard work you put into it! Our photo studio staff mastered the program in a flash, no training was needed. There's plenty of features that are extremely useful for a business like ours, smart layout printing and order statistics among them.
Malcolm Barrows, Salt Lake City, USA
I struggled with some other ID photo makers until I stumbled upon this stunning software. Everything works like a dream, the interface is cute and easy to use. Changing background and clothes are really helpful to make any photo perfect.
Ellie Stonebridge, Bath, Great Britain
US Passport Picture Requirements – 2020
Applying for the US passport make sure you follow the American passport photo requirements carefully. Your photo must be the right dimensions, and the officials should clearly recognize you when they look at your passport. Spend a few minutes reading how to take a passport photo – this way you can avoid a delay in processing your passport application caused by the picture being rejected.
If you have enough time, it’s better to get your passport picture taken in a professional photo studio. However, it is also possible to do it at home, which is especially helpful if you need to prepare a baby passport photo. Keep in mind that you’ll need convenient software for making passport photos to get your photograph ready for printing in a couple of simple steps.
Keep reading this guide and you’ll learn all the latest requirements for the US passport photo and get familiar with an easy-to-use US passport photo maker.
Below we’ve gathered essential specs that will help you prepare the necessary photo. You can find more information on United States passport picture requirements on the official website of the US embassy.
- There’re 2 pictures needed for US passport per person or per application
- Provide a recent photo (no older than 6 months) reflecting your current appearance
- No selfies or group pictures are acceptable
- The photo must be taken against plain white or white-off background, without any pattern or objects behind you
- Your photo must be in color and not in black or white
- Rules for USA passport photos prohibit digitally altering or retouching your real-life appearance
Resolution, Print Size, and Quality of US Passport Photos
Remember that your digital passport photo for online application must have a resolution of 300 pixels per inch. If you plan to submit a printed photo rather than a digitized copy, you should take into account some additional American passport photo specifications.
- US passport photo dimensions should be exactly 2x2 inches (51 x 51 mm), with the head measuring from 1 inch to 1 3/8 inches (25 mm - 35 mm), and the eyes placed between 1 1/8 inches to 1 3/8 inches (28 mm – 35 mm) from the bottom of the photo
- Your passport photo must be printed on either matte or glossy quality photo paper
Pose, Expression and Clothes Do’s and Don’ts
Choosing a proper US passport photo size is half the battle. For a start, it is much more important to prepare for the shooting - put on nice clothes, tidy up your hair, stand in the right position and make sure you don’t showcase on the photo something you really shouldn’t. This list will help you get ready for your passport photo:
- You must directly face the camera so it takes a full-face front view
- A neutral facial expression is a standard for today’s biometric passport photo requirements. However, you can use a soft, natural smile if preferred
- Your eyes should be open and clearly visible. There must not be any shadows or hair across the face
- You should wear normal everyday clothes, not a uniform, camouflage or national costume, except for religious clothing worn on a daily basis
- Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline. If you wear a head covering for religious reasons, you may leave it on, but it must not obscure any parts of your face
- Starting November 1, 2016, glasses are no longer allowed in passport photos (regardless of a medical certificate issued by your doctor)
- If you normally have a beard, keep it. If not, don’t grow one for the picture
- You can wear jewelry and keep on your facial piercings but make sure they do not hide your face
- Permanent tattoos are also acceptable for passport purposes
All in all, there are no restrictions on the clothing you might wear in your passport photo, but it’s better to opt for a more traditional attire instead of a trendy one. Don’t go for a stylish haircut or fashionable sweatshirt, focus on more appropriate clothes and make sure they meet the official passport photo requirements of the United States.
US Passport Baby Photo Requirements
If you plan to travel with your little children, you’ll need to make them separate passports in order to go abroad. An infant's pose and expression are challenging to maintain for taking a decent photo so international standards for baby photos are not so rigid. Your baby ID picture must meet the following US passport photo requirements:
- The baby should look straight at the camera
- Both eyes should be open and ears clearly visible
- The child should have a neutral expression, with mouth closed, not smiling
- The background should be white or off-white, or of plain light colors such as cream, light blue or white
- Photo should be taken in a bright room without any shadows across or behind the face
- There cannot be any other objects on a toddler's face or background, such as toys, parent's hands, hat, baby's hand over face, blanket on face, etc
When renewing your United States passport or receiving the first ID document in your life, you need a photo that meets official requirements in all aspects. A convenient US passport photo tool will save you time and money by making sure that your photo is right from the first time.
Passport Photo Maker software will help meet all the official requirements so you won’t need to check them out on in the Internet and worry that your picture may be rejected. Need a Canadian visa picture or UK passport photo? Passport Photo Maker will offer you not only the USA passport photo template but also ID types for most countries in the world.
Create and print high quality ID photos with Passport Photo Maker!